The Old Crown is open.
The Old Crown is open.
Anglican parish church. C13 and C14; heavily restored and rebuilt 1860 by
B. Ferrey. West tower, nave, north porch, south aisle, chancel and vestry.
Rubble with freestone dressings; snecked and squared rubble to nave and chancel;
slate roofs with coped raised verges. West tower is probably C13 with a
saddleback roof behind a plain parapet; 2 stages with diagonal buttresses;
moulded stringcourse with gargoyles; on the ground floor is a 2-light cusped
lancet window with a cusped hexagonal light above; single and 2-light windows to
bell stage. North porch is gabled with angle buttresses; double hollow
chamfered outer doorway (restored) under a hoodmould with square stops. Nave:
3-light C19 Perpendicular style windows. Chancel: C19 windows, lancets to the
sides and 3-light Geometrical style east window. South aisle has three 2-light
windows with cusped heads. The north door is studded with strap hinges in a
chamfered and depressed ogee-headed surround. Interior: 1860's 3 bay south
arcade in an early Gothic style; C13 tower arch is double chamfered. Font,
probably C18, ashlar, octagonal bowl with a band of quatrefoils, gadrooned base.
The pulpit, roof and other fittings are all 1860's and later. Glass: north-
east nave window has C14 borderwork and other fragments, foreign, with an oval
medallion, an angel on a blue background and the upper part of St. John the
Evangelist; south-west chancel window has a C14 French figure of St. Barbara
holding a tower; north-west chancel window has a C15 Low Countries' panel of
St. Anthony holding a staff and with a pig; tower, John the Baptist baptising
Christ with a tower in the background. Monuments. In the chancel is a
substantial fragment of a Saxon cross with interlace on two sides. Tower:
inscribed oval plaque to Marie Smith, 1678, in elaborate surround with drapery;
Griffin Smith, 1681, square plaque and further oval plaque of 1693. South
aisle: Sir Caesar Hawkins, died 1800, inscribed marble plaque with urn finial;
other inscribed square plaques of late C18 - early C19 to Hawkins and Inigo-Jones
families. Nave: Hudleston hatchment; Royal Arms, 1860; various Hudleston
monuments, mostly square inscribed plaques, particularly John died 1749, Lawson
died 1743, Charlotte died 1821 and William died 1766 with a triglyph frieze;
Lady Diones Harington, died 1674, and John Harington died 1674, both baroque
plaques with arms. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and
Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1946).